Application Deadline for
Fall Semester Grants: July 15, 2014
Spring (2015) Semester Grants December 15, 2014
Applications (3 copies) should be received in hard copy at the address below by the deadlines above. Faxed or emailed applications may not be substituted.
Student Transportation Grants Application Requirements
The National Park Service encourages programs that bring children into the outdoors and National Parks have been used as outdoor classrooms for years. Education is a primary goal of the Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park. In support of educational endeavors whereby students and teachers can make use of Park resources in a variety of curricula, the Friends are sponsoring the Student Transportation Grant program.
Grants of up to $500 will be awarded on a need basis. The Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park will reimburse the school for actual costs up to the maximum amount of the grant awarded. Evidence of insurance coverage will be required before a grant is awarded, but does not need to be submitted with the application. After the trip is completed, the group or school should send an itemized bill to the Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park. Upon receipt of the itemized bill, a check will be issued.
Selection of groups to participate will be the sole responsibility of the Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park. The National Park Service will not participate in the selection process. Once the Friends notify Mammoth Cave National Park of a group’s selection, the park staff will contact the group to schedule their visit. Ordinarily, there is a discounted rate for school/youth groups of $5.00 per student; however, for this program, Mammoth Cave National Park will waive this fee for the selected groups.
Because funds are limited, the Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park will award two Student Transportation Grants per semester to those groups that demonstrate the greatest need. Financial need as well as the group’s socio-economic makeup will factor into the selection process. Only bona fide Kentucky school groups are eligible to apply. All groups must have one adult chaperon for every ten children.
Applications should be double spaced and no more than five pages. They should include a narrative that explains the financial need, the group’s educational objectives, and other relevant factors the applicant wants the Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park to review while evaluating the application. The review committee should normally make decisions on selections within two weeks after the application deadline.
Ticket to Ride
1. Cover page with contact information
2. Timing of trip (i.e., when does the group want to visit Mammoth Cave?)
3. Purpose and need for the funding - explain situation that makes visit to Mammoth Cave NP unlikely without the grant.
4. Brief description of school or program (attach brochure if available)
5. Description of participants
a. Number of students
b. Number of teachers or adult chaperones (need one adult for every ten students)
c. Demographics regarding minority and socio-economically disadvantaged status of students
6. Describe how school or organization will evaluate effectiveness of the activity
7. Itemized budget including mileage cost for bus and driver salary or other expenses (for a school it is expected the mileage and driver costs would not exceed $500)
1. A letter of support and authorization from the principal or organization administrator,
2. A group photo release, which may or may not be used by the Friends in future publications and/or or on the website. Selected groups need to submit this release prior to arrival for their field trip.
3. Feedback from teachers and students that may be published in written or electronic formats.
Mail applications to:
Friends of Mammoth Cave, P. O. Box 2, Mammoth Cave, KY 42259.
Questions should be address to Executive Director Gayle Giesecke at email@example.com or at 270-597-7604.